RE: torque stick, how dose it work?

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-ns.com)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 07:04:23 EDT

Don,
They are basically nothing more than a "marked" socket. They have markings
on the side of them to indicate the correct torque setting. Of course this
is worthless if the mechanic doesn't set the air wrench to the corresponding
setting. Anytime one of my vehicles are in for any servicing that requires
the removal of the wheels, I specifically request they "hand torque" the lug
nuts. It is too easy for over stressed, stretched threads, or
cross-threading to occur. This is usually when you at home afterwards and
you try to remove one of the nuts/bolts that have been over torqued.
Rich - Ashburn, VA