TB Mod Problems: DTC P0121 and DTC P0133 (long)

From: John Bell (john_bell_2@hushmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 24 2003 - 23:38:28 EDT

OK folks, I could really use your help on this one...

I got my truck back from the machinist. He was able to tap out the offending
broken S-Bolt stub
(see the "T*man's Curse LIVES" thread for the gory details). Unfortunately,
the guy who did the
work is not, I repeat, -not- a mechanic. It's fairly obvious that he wasn't
able to bolt everything
together properly once he had finished up his work. While he had the TB off,
I told him to go
ahead and mill the TB according to the various instructions and pictures
provided on the DML
web site. According to the Mark I Eyeball, the milling was done to my
satisfaction.

Here is what I did when I picked up the truck:

- Pulled the negative battery cable and reset the PCM (held the key in START
for about 20 seconds,
which cleared the Check Engine light I got when I first tried to start it
up)

- Once I did that, the Check Engine light cleared, but idle would bounce
around between 1400-1600 rpm
(as opposed to the stock 650 rpm I normally had)

- Once I started driving, the Check Engine light would come on again after
going a few miles.

Symptoms:

- Idle between 1400-1600 rpm
- Failed to shift into O/D while driving
- What felt like a "fuel cut off" at 4500 rpm when revving the engine in
park

I have two methods of pulling DTCs. The first is with my Hypertech Power
Programmer III. When I
used it, it returned a DTC code of P0121 (TPS signal does not correlate to
MAP signal).

The second method is with my CarChip. In the trip log / vehicle trouble log
summary, it showed that
a DTC of P0133 is being consistently generated on the test trips I took
while debugging. DTC P0133
is "O2 sensor 1/1 response slower than minimum required switching
frequency".

It is my understanding that DTC P0121 will -not- activate the Check Engine
light, but that DTC P0133
-will- activate it. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

If I was going to take a guess, I would guess that the guy who did the
machining work did not put the
TPS back on the TB correctly when he reinstalled it. I found out that the
IAS is the piece that is in
charge of idle and O/D shifting according to the list archives, however.
Needless to say, there are
multiple places where things could be failing:

- TPS misinstall/malfunction
- IAS " "
- Throttle linkage " "
- Damaged MAP sensor
- Possible TB gasket and/or vaccuum leak (he -did- use a fresh TB gasket,
which I provided)

The TPS was modded in the past (bore out the brass inserts mod) - this was
noticed by the
machinist when he took apart the TB setup in order to get it to the bench. I
had Bernd do this
back when I took my truck to Speedtweaks for the "power tuneup" (which
worked beautifully).

I hope I've given enough info for the Big Dogs on the list to make
suggestions. Any help in getting
this fixed is *greatly* appreciated! Any tips on some *** good *** mechanics
in the Austin TX area
who explicitly work on Dodges would also be greatly appreciated (man,
I -really- miss Bernd and
Speedtweaks, that would be ideal). Barring that, any tips on dealers in the
Austin TX area who can
be trusted to fix this without recommending a complete overhaul to stock
would also be nice.

Thanks much,

--
John Bell
'00 QC SLT+ 4x4 5.9 46RE NV242 *** Check Engine Light Mod ***