Re: Re: Now message boards

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 11:09:21 EDT

Bill Pitz <dakota@billpitz.com> wrote:

: On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:06:56 -0400, <jdurling@bellsouth.net> wrote:
:>Another thought os instead of a forum could we set it up like a BBS, mybe a
:>little different. I know right now we have the ability to post to either the
:>newsgroup and by email but is there a way that we could access teh active
:>discussion form the webpage? Maybe like having the newsgroup setup right on
:>the webpage. This would get rid of it but instead look basically the same
:>and be accessed form the webpage. You may have touched on about this above
:>but not knowing the exact terminology for this I may have missed it.

: Yeah, essentially a web-based Usenet client. Pretty straightforward
: and easy to do. There are quite a few out there, or something can be
: crafted together quite quickly in PHP or Perl.

    Bill,

   If you have some info about these, could you drop me a line? I
spent most of last night searching for a web based usenet client
and didn't come up with much of anything. I am experimenting with
one right now, but it is ROUGH. It doesn't do threading, so it is
probably not very useful. Another one I tried didn't work. If you
know of anything, preferable freeware (or really cheap) and open
source I'd love to hear about it! (It needs to run on Linux)

  I thought the same thing myself - it doesn't seem like a big deal,
and there are a lot of sites out there that offer web based access to
Usenet (deja/google being the largest) so I was surprised at how
much difficulty I am having finding something!

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'