Re: Maintenance list Questions

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 10:28:22 EDT

"Craig" <2kdaksport@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:0HH50015694ASU@mtaout01.icomcast.net...

> OK I think the differential is shown here...
> http://www.mallettservices.com/rearaxel.html
> Do I have to remove the cover to replace the fluid? It looks like Donald
> used Mobil-1 is that what I should use?? What is the procedure?

Pull the cover, scrape the sealant off of it and give it a quick zap with
some steel wool or amery cloth to get a nice mating surface. After all the
gear oil has drained, button it back up and fill through the hole in the
cover. I use redline 75w90 and about 2oz of friction modifier in mine. I
also had the pemetex sealent leak like a mofo so I bought a sheet of paper
gasket maker stuff and cut out my own gasket...used a little but of permatex
and haven't had ANY leaks at all. Just be prepared, used gear oil smells
really bad if you've got friction modifier in it.

> Thanks to Josh, Andy, Bill and Donald for the great advice!

Glad I could help!

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L