Ont. Gov't Comes To Its Senses!

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 11:15:49 EDT

A SMALL VICTORY FOR CAR HOBBYISTS

For May 5, 2003

TORONTO—After intense lobbying by specialty vehicle owners
and Chatham-Kent Essex MPP Pat Hoy, the Eves government
has backed down on plans to target hot rods or customized cars
that could have hurt local auto events like WAMBO in Wallaceburg
and the Old Autos Car Show in Bothwell.

  “We can perhaps claim a small victory as the Tories have come
to their senses,” said Hoy, who was contacted in February by local
after-market businesses and the Specialty Vehicles Association of Ontario,
creating a province-wide internet petition in opposition to Bill 241,
The Road Safety Act; first introduced last year, it died on the order paper
with the end of the parliamentary session. On May 5, a new changed Act
was introduced.

  “Wings, air dams, spoilers and racing stripes could have been banned,
with fines from $200 to $1,000, or six months in jail, or both,” said Hoy,
suggesting “we all want to tackle the problem of illegal street racing,
but the way the bill was written meant the Tories were using a sledgehammer
to kill a fly, and it would only have hurt law-abiding citizens.”

“Local tourism is strengthened by WAMBO in Wallaceburg and the
Old Autos Car Show in Bothwell, one of the largest in Ontario,” said Hoy.
“Furthermore, the bill would have had a negative ripple effect on businesses
who sell and install after-market parts.”

“I told the Minister of Transportation, on behalf of my constituents, and
specialty vehicle owners across the province, that the legislation needed
change,”
said Hoy. “It was unjust, unfair and did not directly penalize the illegal
racers,
but would burden and hurt responsible, law-abiding hobbyists and amateur and
semi-professional car enthusiasts, many of whom volunteer as a community
service
at various events, including in Wallaceburg and Bothwell.”

The changes proposed in today’s new legislation include amending the Highway
Traffic Act to issue an immediate 48-hour vehicle detention and/or driver
license
suspension to those caught racing down public streets. And the use of
connected
nitrous oxide on public roads to enhance engine performance would be
prohibited.
Mention of after-market parts and supplies have been withdrawn from the
bill completely.

Now someone should tell the OPP who pulled over trailered race cars and
cars with wide
rear tires going to and from Toronto Motorsports Park last Saturday and Sunday!
On Sat., the OPP had their portable checking equipment set up on the road
running
in front of the track about a half a mile away in both directions. On
Sunday, the OPP
set up their equipment at the intersection of Hwy 56 & Hwy 3 (about 10
miles from
the track) which most racers have to use to get to the track.

I would have loved to have seen something said about those who keep their
racing
on legitimate, controlled facilities :-(

Wonder if they'll pull over some of the Winston Cup boys (e.g. Sterling
Marlin, etc.)
who are coming up this coming weekend to race at the (short track) Cayuga
Speedway?

Bob