Re: towing and information overload?

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 18:22:28 EDT

Punch said:

> can a 4x4 quad cab tow more then a 2wd?

Short answer: Nope.

Usually the 2wd version will have a slightly higher towing rating, all
other things being equal. I believe the reason is the extra weight of the
front axle and transfer case. You can get the full tow rating charts from
the dealer (they're in the owners manual).

> is the tow rating different between sport, and other versions?

Nope. It depends on engine, transmission, body style (regular cab, club
cab or quad cab), drivetrain (2wd or 4x4) and final axle ratio. You can
get the full tow rating charts from the dealer (they're in the owners
manual).

Keep in mind that the actual weight of a Sport might be different than a
different trim line, depending on what options are installed. While the
rated GCVWR is the same, you have to account for the actual weight
difference of the truck itself.

> what would my future boat weigh? ( 19-25ft sport type leisure craft, with
> trailer etc...)

I'd ask a boat dealer, or check the boat manufacturer's web site.

> my friends say 2wd will slip on the boat launch.

You can reduce this by getting the limited slip differential, good tires,
and not using full throttle when trying to extract your boat from the
water. My dad's truck was an old 2wd Chevy with a 402 in it, and he never
had any problems pulling his pontoon boat up any boat ramps. I've seen
lots of people who think the solution is to jam the gas pedal to the
floor, all that does is makes a nice show of tire smoke. Impressive,
yes... useful, no.

--
Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario

Didn't you read the disclaimer? http://www.they.com/disclaimer