Re: what causes intake backfires?

From: Dave Downing (ded74@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 05 2003 - 23:37:31 EDT

> Does anyone know what condition would cause intake backfires? would it be
> condition of retatrded or advanced timing? or could it be lean fuel?
possibly a
> vacuum leak? I am experiencing major hesitation off the line (engine bogs
> almost to a stall) and intake backfiring.
>
> Any suggestions welcomed
>
> John S

I'm getting the same thing in my R/T ever since I installed the 55mm F&B,
4bbl M1 & 1.7 rockers. Also changed the cap/rotor and plugs at the same
time. Anyone know how you check for a vaccuum leak? I was thinking that
maybe it was cause I'm getting so much air and the pcm is trying to add too
much fuel. I was going to wait until I got the headers and dual exhaust on,
hoping that those would lean it out a bit and see if it got better.

-Dave
'02 FR RC R/T