RE: Re: RE: U-Joints

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jul 06 2003 - 14:56:57 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: DAKSY
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2003 2:20 PM
To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
Subject: DML: Re: RE: U-Joints

Yes, it DOES change with speed, but only in 1st & 2nd. I've yet to hear it
in 3rd, 4th or 5th....& NO VIBRATION!
It sure doesn't sound like it's in the front end. Even Susan thinks it's
from the rear. Maybe I oughta drop the cover & drain the 'punkin' - just for
sh*ts & giggles.

Bob, From experience, a worn rear drive shaft U-joint with less than 1/16
inch play will rattle your back teeth at 65 mph.
Try this:
Find a brave volunteer. They ride in the bed with the tailgate lowered and,
as you drive carefully around a parking lot, they listen for the noise. As
long as things are done in reasonable fashion, they might be able to
carefully hang their head over the tailgate for better acoustic acuity.
Handles or grab straps may be in order!
This should give you a good fix on the location, especially side-to-side.