100k buildup of a 318

From: BARRY OLIVER (DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 17:16:29 EDT

  Ok, guys, here's a theoretical question for you. I have a '99 4x4 with a 318. My motor has had mobil 1 oil AND filters since 28k miles and seems very strong. I have done no performance mods other than a K&N drop in and a mopar 3" cat-back, stock exit, exhaust. I have 85 k miles now and will probably be very close to 100K by the end of the year. At 100k, my warranty expires, and I will be free to persue whatever mods I choose.
  My objectives are to get back some of the performance I have lost via big tires and heavy bolt-ons. My truck is primarily a street/trail truck, not a mud-bogger or a rock crawler. I am not interested in formally drag-racing and I do not want to compramise my ability to tow things.
  I have been sorta considering a supercharger, but I am also concerned with longevity. Conventional(?) wisdom suggests that if you seek increased performance you shorten lifespan. Is this really the case? Since I don't trust and dealers/mechanics within 200 miles of my house, this would either be a next summer learning project, or "find somewhere to take it to" type thing. Bernd, how do you feel about me dropping my truck [and a few blank checks] off at your doorstep for a month or so? [I'm only picken on you because you and Ron seem to know the most about this stuff, and I think you are marginally closer...]

Ok , enough rambling, here's my questions.
* would a 318 with 100k be a good candidate for a blower?
* If not, what type of repairs/ modifications would be required/advisable for this.
* When considering between a blower and, say a 360 swap, on the surface it seems a wash as far as bang for the buck, with the reliability nod going to the 360, and the "cheaper" award going to the blown 318. It this a fair/valid assumption?