Re: RE: Ram Hemi Performance parts

From: Jim Miller WB5OXQ (wb5oxq@grandecom.net)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 00:19:21 EDT

Any further word on torque converter, the complete exhaust system complete
with headers and all the way back? Any dyno tests yet? I bought the 360
air intake system and have it installed. They could have done a little
better on the length and bends on the tubing to put the filter into a good
"hole" in front of the wheel well where it is open all the way to the ground
and also the filter will not stay on with the clamp supplied and I had to
drill through the rubber collar intop the aluminum tube and out in sheet
metal screws to keep the filter on. I emailed them and told them so. Also
in regards to the exhaust system I wonder how restrictive the factory
monster of a muffler is? It is a 3 in 3 out and i would replace it with a
better flowing one if it were not waisted when I get a complete system from
the heads to the tailpipes. Your suggestions please. By the way 1200 miles
now on the truck and at 60 on cruise, no a/c, level roads, 22.5 mpg! Can
you beat that on a 4600 pound truck with a 345 hp V8? I used to go through
95% of the tank each week on the R/T and I believe it was 23 gals. Now I go
through only 55% of the 26 gal tank on the Ram everything else being the
same. I hope Dodge uses these engines in a lot more applications. I also
wonder how the dual spark plug systems works with a coil pack on 8 of the
plugs and a plug wire going to another plug on the oposite side of the
engine. They must be sequentially firing these for more complete
combustion. They claim they have to because a hemi runs a much colder
combustion chamber temp than a wedge head engine. Aparently the hemi barely
meets emission standards. I really do like the truck in spite of a very bad
gear radio spacing from first to second. You have a spot of about 10+ mph
where you are way below the torque peak. 0 to 40 it is fast as hell, then
not good again until above 50. It kind of reminds me of my 60 Pontiac 4
speed hydramatic, great in 1 and 2 and then 3rd drops the rpm way to much.
Jim in Waco, 2003 Ram 1500 Reg cab SWB Hemi, 3.92 antispin