Re: Looking for a second car - Dallas-Ft.Worth Area

From: Jon (jonsdak@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 02:40:49 EDT

Tom,
Your reasoning sounds a lot like mine, but thankfully, I had a bit more
capital, so I got a car that's great on gas, fun to drive, and won't
collapse like a tent in an accident.
I recommend, if you can swing it:
1) a Stratus
2) a Pontiac Sunfire/Chevy Cavalier

All are fun cars, and the Sunfires can be had for little cash.

I personally wouldn't go any smaller than that, but some feel fine with much
smaller cars. We have too many rednecks driving pulp trucks over hilly,
curvy roads up here for me to feel safe in a VW Jetta or Geo Metro. (Which
are likely some of the cheapest cars you'll find, and a VW with the TDI
diesel gets 50 mpg on the highway!).
My only problem was I had to HUNT for a stick-shift. Nobody wants/knows how
to drive them anymore!

It's a sad state of affairs...
Hope you find something.

--