Re: RE: 46rh transmission

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 10:39:05 EDT

""RayB"" <bpracing@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Before jumping to something expensive like the torque converter, I'd check
> the fluid level. If it's ok I'd then consider changing the fluid and
> filter and adjusting the bands to see if that fixes it. The band
> adjustments require some special tools or creativity so might best be left
> to an expert. For that I'd trust my local 5 star over the corner
> transmission shop cause they almost always will tell you there's a
*serious*
> problem. :-) I think the dealers will do a fluid/filter/band adjustment
> for around $100 (someone correct this if I'm wrong. Been many years since
> I've paid for that service) If all that fails to solve the problem then
> you're probably going to spend some real money. :-(
>
> RayB
> http://www.dragtruk.com/ENTRIES/20KM1FD2KWBP.html

Beat me to it Ray... When I noticed that my trans was shifting funny and
feeling in general like it was time for a new one, I changed the filter,
fluid and adjusted the bands. It worked like a charm. Also, if you feel
that your trans might be slipping a little, you can use type F trans fluid,
it will make the bands a little gummy and also make your shifts feel firmer.
Might want to try that as well.

Adjusting the bands isn't that bad, I did it laying on my back with some
creative usage of extensions and ball/socket joints on my ratchet. Just
follow the procedures in the FSM and you should be fine.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L