Re: ATTN: '03 BBQ Caravan folks

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 12:08:54 EDT

Josh Battles said:

> What's the deal with these duty free shops? I've never stopped at one
> before. The stuff is super cheap? The only duty free shop that i've ever
> seen was in LAX and they wouldn't let me into that one b/c i wasn't on an
> international flight.

There's no sales tax, or any other taxes for that matter. Mostly you
notice the difference on things that are heavily taxed like alcohol and
tobacco. Too bad they don't sell gasoline :-).

I'm not sure exactly what the rules are, but in general you're supposed to
buy the stuff there then immediately leave the country, use it only for
your own personal use, etc. Like I mentioned before, they have limits on
how much alcohol and how many cigarettes you can carry, and the limits are
based on how long you've been away, what country you live in, etc.

I'd say check with Customs to be sure. Also remember that the rules will
be different for US or Canada. IMHO, the duty free shops are better when
you're leaving Canada for the US, in which case you'd want to check with
US Customs to see what you can bring back in to the country after being
away for less than a day. That's the way they have it set up... they
don't care what you take out, only what you're bringing in.

It's interesting to note that the duty free is operated by Customs, so
they're interested in what country you reside in. Unlike Immigration, who
cares about your citizenship. This is only an issue for people like me
who are a citizen of one country and live in another.

--
Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario

Didn't you read the disclaimer? http://www.they.com/disclaimer