it's not t-man

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sat Jul 19 2003 - 02:25:20 EDT

...because I say so.
so I've had this very pretty Magnaflow system rattling (well, not -
because it was well packed) around in my bed since I picked it up from
the PO last week, and it was the first of this weekend's many, many
projects that I decided to tackle. first b/c it looked like the most
fun =)

of course, my old system didn't come off like I wanted it to, in any
way shape or form. after 95000 miles, of course all the bolts were
*gone*. However, there was a clampless joint right behind the cat
which is where I wanted to separate the system. Instead, I found out
that the system hadn't rusted to itself right at the Y pipe, and that
the clamp up there wasn't tight enough.

no amount of pounding or slitting of the joint could convince those two
pipes to come apart until literally *seconds* after the extension pipe
slipped off the Y.

the pipe and cat are both in good shape (I could swear it was the
catalytic rattling under the truck, but I guess I need to hunt for a
loose heat shield near there), but of course I don't have a spare 2.5"
clamp, nor the pipe cutter I'll need to adjust the length of the pipes
between the cat and the muffler, so I get to run out and pick up more
than an axle seal tomorrow.

Of course, I couldn't resist finding out what it sounded like open: oh.
my. god. that sound just makes me fscking giddy! I now know why there
are noise laws: clamping a turn down to the Y pipe would get old on
long trips, but it'd be a LOT of fun around town 8^D
I definitely need to make a recording to remember that sound by.

since I'm sure you all care deeply, the other stuff I can break:
- installing driveshaft hoop (I'd put it off, but I need to pull a heat
shield to do it, so I'll be damned if I'm not doing it while the
exhaust is off)
- installing Transgo and a tranny temp sensor
- diffs, t-case and engine oil changes
- right front axle seal
- finding a new air leak in my Ranchos (doesn't really count since it's
just plain broke already)

- I'm still short parts to do my quarter windows.
- There's no more ATF anywhere after I cleaned it off, and there's none
built up on the drive shaft, so I'm ignoring the output shaft seal for
now
- I don't have my Superchips programmer back from it's second update
yet. that's been 3 weeks since purchase.... but that's 2 minutes when
it manages to show up.
- If I'm smart, I'll look at where my breathers breathe, too. I should
make sure the mud pit doesn't feed them too much.

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
Apple Campus Rep  -  ClassTech Consultant  -  Printer Tech