42RE Removal question

From: john w (jcworden2003@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 19 2003 - 17:19:32 EDT

Hi, this past week my father-in-law and I removed the
42RE from my '98 Dak so it could be rebuilt. It was a
nightmare of a job that took the two of us 9 hours.
Some of the problems were related to the factory
repair manual being vague as to what to remove in
order to the the trans. out. My question is about the
motor to transmission to axle brackets. The FSM say
to loosen them , jack the engine up a bit and slide
the torque convertor cover off(yeah right!). We we
did get it off, but it doesn' come off easy and we
know it won't go back in easy. I looked at a Haynes
manual(don't care for them, usually) and it says to
pull those brackets off. Now it looks to us as though
without them there will be nothing holding the motor
up. Any thoughts? I know some of you must have come
across this before. We asked a dealer mechanic my
father-in-law knows, but besides being horrified at
the thought of a Dak trans. removal he couldn't
remember since it had been a while sine he had removed
on. I have to say that day was the only day in nearly
6 years I seriously thought about getting a Ram.

Thanks
John