Re: Slightly OT: Where have all the manual trannies gone?

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 14:36:50 EDT

I would have LOVED to get a stick in my truck. Unfortunately all that was
on the lot were automatic transmission models and I (like yourself) needed
the truck fairly quickly because I'd blown up the 351 in my mustang (91 LX -
5 speed tremec) the previous weekend at the strip. (it's a long sad story
and I don't care to relive it so I won't elaborate.) Also, having worked at
a decently sized (inventory of about 900 cars) chevy dealer I noticed that
less than 1% of the vehicles on the lot were stick. It seems that nobody
has the want/will to learn to drive these vehicles. I personally prefer the
manual transmission over an automatic any day. This truck will be my first,
last, only vehicle with an automatic transmission. It was quite difficult
to go from a manual to an auto, and I've regretted it ever since.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L

""Jon"" <jonsdak@midmaine.com> wrote in message news:bfei4a$fg2$1@bent.twistedbits.net... > > Hey all, > <rant type="tirade"> > When I bought my Dakota, I needed a vehicle immediately, and got a good deal > on it. This is the only reason my truck's an automatic. > Since I've been car-hunting, in order to get a stick in the class of car I > wanted, I had to buy a Sunfire! I originally went into it wanting a > Stratus. After not finding ONE with three pedals, (though I did have a Ford > salesman tell me he'd sold a Dark Garnet five-speed '98 Stratus two weeks > before I was in..Doh!) I'd looked at Carollas, Maximas, Saturns, > everything. I did find one Saturn with a stick, but it had issues (Steering > and brakes, yikes). > In fact, I got a good deal on my Sunfire because it was a stick, and had > been on the lot a while. My dealer had bought it because someone told him > they wanted a Sunfire with a stick, and then decided they couldn't afford it > after he had it on the lot. All of his other vehicles were/are automatics. > I've had to go out and move my car when I've blocked someone in at a party > or something, because when I hand them the keys, they get this horrified > look in their eyes (sort of deer-in-the-headlights) at the thought of moving > a car with a manual tranny 20 feet. > Does nobody know how to, or like to, use a clutch anymore? > </rant> > > -- > -Jon > jonsdak@midmaine.com > http://jonsdakota.tripod.com > 1996 Dodge Dakota Sport 4X4, 3.9L V6, 42RE, 3.92:1 8.25 axle, "BackRack" > Headache Rack, Dodge Motorsports decals, steering wheel cover, and front > license plate, diamond-plate bedrail covers, Lund VentVisors, Lund > BugShield, Jensen MP-3310 CD/MP3 Receiver, Pioneer TS-G1347's in front, > TS-A5713's in rear, Bulldog RS-82 Remote Starter > >