RE: Design flaws or just things I am noticing since this is my fi rst MOPAR?

From: Sevrence, Sean (S.J.) (ssevrenc@visteon.com)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 13:18:35 EDT

Hey Jim!

Welcome to the non-lurking mode ;)

A) Yes, the DC boyz did not do enough blending of the air to get more to the
sides. Some manufactures put baffles into the duct system to help direct the
air. DC does not.

Two) The geometry of the Gen III Daks have this issue (97+). It does get
easier to control when there is weight in the back. I think the issue is the
over-springiness (if that is a word) of the back end makes it seem like it
is over steering.

3) One thing you need to understand is all trucks are non-aerodynamic.
Aerodynamics is not a linear thing, it is exponential. The faster these
"walls" are pushed through the air, the more drag there is. I have done a
few things to help with the mileage.

        - Added a tonneau cover to stop the wind from gathering in the
"sail" of a tailgate. This has given me 1.5mpg.
        - Switched to Mobil 1, versus standard dynoil. That gave me approx
0.5mpg.
        - If there are no other vehicles around to help disturb the air, I
set the cruise at 73. There is a big difference between 73 & 80 by ourselves
for mileage. I have noticed that no matter what the speed is, if I am
following someone (some call it drafting, others call is tailgating - but I
do not ride the bumper, approx 4 truck lengths at 70) my mileage will
produce good numbers of 21.5+ in my V6. I am getting a constant 20mpg in my
V8.

Hope that helps!
Sean
'92 RC Sport 3.9L 5spd - 256,000mi!
'01 CC SLT+ 4.7L 5spd 3.92 LSD Mobil-1 - 90,000mi - Just flipped today!!!!!
http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/DnuuSncssJujU