GenII Brake work finished

From: Michael Clark (dml@mikesdakota.com)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 20:28:46 EDT

Thanks to all of you who offered me instructions on
doing my brakes. Big thanks to Rich who gave me his
phone number in case I had any problems (didn't have
any though). I wound up buying two new rotors since
one of them was burnt too bad to be reused. The other
was ok but I felt better buying two new ones. I was
able to put on the new rotors with new bearings, and new
calipers and pads. Had a friend help me bleed the
brakes and the fluid that came out of the rear was
REALLY nasty looking! We pumped nearly a whole can of
break fluid through it until it started coming out
clean.

Of all the steps involved by far the biggest PAIN IN
THE ASS was getting the new caliper sleeves seated
around the new caliper pins. The sleeves are just
little plastic "tubes" that the pins slide through. The
hard part is getting these tubes to stay in place
inside the dust boot. Whenever I would shove a pin
in, the sleeve would exit out the other side. Anyone
else ever go through this?

The passenger side caliper came with new sleeves in
the box, but the driver side had none! I called
Oreilly's to find out what was up and the guy said I
probably didn't need 'em anyway!!!!!!!!! WTF!!I was
able to go to another parts store and buy them
separately. I would think these pieces are needed
since I mounted up the drivers side assembly without
them and the caliper did not want to "float" like it
should. Felt like it would drag. After getting the
sleeves put in I could move the caliper back and forth
easily.

Well, it's all back together now and stops smooth and
straight. With all new parts and new fluid I can tell
a definite difference in stopping performance.

Thanks guys,
--Mike
www.mikesdakota.com