Anyone want a Pontiac Sunfire?

From: Jon (jonsdak@midmaine.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 00:50:51 EDT

 just knew I shouldn't have bought a Brand X car.. I should have waited to
find that Stratus with a stick.
In the 31 days and 1,300 miles that I've had the 1997 Sunfire, here's what
I've experienced:
First, the steering would pop in low-speed turns, the blower would randomly
die, and the A/C buzzed.
Then, I started getting water on the passenger side front carpet. A plugged
condenser return line was found to be the cause.
In the last few days, the car would intermittently emit this horrible
squeal, something akin to strangling a cat and holding the gas to the floor,
when starting the engine with the A/C on. This would also _sometimes_
happen when turning the A/C on while driving.
Tonight, coming home from camp, my check engine light came on. I doubled
back, to be sure my dad was following closely in his Stratus, and ten miles
down the road my entire dash flickered (Lights on). Besides this, the car
ran well. Then, once I got home, I shut the car off, and started it back
up. When Dad came in, he wanted to see if the light was still on, so I
started the car again. After the initial "all lights" test, the check
engine light went out!
It's a good car, nothing majorly wrong with it, but all these little things
in such a short time have worn me down. No more GM junk for me. I'm 95%
certain that I'm going to sell this 2.2L 5-speed manual Sunfire SE Coupe
with AM/FM/Cassette and Lund VentGards (which I put on), for $5,000, or
trade it on a Stratus of the same vintage. The car has 49,200 miles, which
is excellent for a car of its age, and was one of the selling points for me.

Thanks for listening (or reading) my little tirade,
a depressed GM owner,

--
-Jon
jonsdak@midmaine.com