Re: Re: Re: gen 2 brake line question

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 18:00:44 EDT

<jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote in message
news:bgc23e$ttj$1@bent.twistedbits.net...

> I have yet to be able to make a nice double flare in steel tubing -
> must be the cheap flaring tools I have. :-( I do have one very nice
> flaring tool, but its an aircraft/AN style 37 degree single flare only.

Yeah, I've got a really nice snap-on double flare tool somewhere around
here... I got tired of the crappy autozone ones, they don't work worth a
darn. If you're not too attached to about $75 - $100 you can get a REALLY
nice one that will work fabulous. The only problem that I had with it was
that I kept forgetting to put the ends on BEFORE I flared... It's a b1tch
when you have to cut off a flare that you just spent 15 minutes making all
perfect.

> As far as buying lines from the auto parts stores, what I have done
> in the past is to use a piece of rope or a coat hangar (if you can find
> a wire coat hangar these days) to bend the shape I need, and buy a
> pre-flared tube which is approximately the right length. Then you just
> need to bend it and bolt it up. (Easier said than done sometimes.) ;-)

I good run of solid 10ga wire works very well also. The solid wire holds
the bends very well once you get the curl straightened out of it. When I
did it, I bought about 25 feet too much because I just knew that I'd end up
having to redo it a few times... I was really glad that I got that extra!

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L