Re: RE: Timing Chain/Belt failure in 318 engine

From: David Henry (DML@HenryWeb.net)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 20:38:55 EDT

My thumb rule is starting to look like Pinoccio's nose. I'm at 92K+ on the
clock. I'd been debating if that's whats been causing my pinging / knocking
noise than 91-93 octane no longer seems to cure. I've kinda been avoiding
any major engine expense as I've been thinking of a nice twin turbo 318 /
360 (possible stroker) rebuild in the future and I've been saving for it.
My crappy NV3500 won't last under any real power with the broken mount
either :(

Took 3 years to finally identify a random driveline clunk. Turned out to be
a sheared tranny mount. I figured if had lasted that long, what was the
point of spending major $$$ to replace it with another crappy trans. Most
likely the result of an accident, but good luch trying to convince the
insurance compay that the $6000+ the spend 3 years prior missed a really
important piece.

Anyway, back on topic, where's a good place to get the good double roller
chain and tensioner at? Also, does someone have a good writeup on how hard
it is to replace?

David Henry
94 Sport CC 4x4, 318, 5spd, Lifted on 33" BFG MT