Re: Re: RE: Re: RE: Trans fluid

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 10:51:39 EDT

<bernd@texas.net> wrote in message
news:200308051346.h75Dkl500965@mail2.aus1.texas.net...

> The additives, cleaning agents, and fluid itself (Synthetic or "Dino"
based)
> are the primary differences - noted in previous post.
>
> - Bernd

Ok, I can accept that they're different. However, I'm not totally convinced
that the new ATF+4 is a synthetic after all. I put in a quick call to my
friend in the parts dept at my dodge dealer and asked a few questions. He
read me the back of the label and checked some other misc things for me. He
found that the fluid itself is NOT synthetic, but instead has synthetic
additives in it. A not-so-quick Google search also confirmed this to be the
case.

However, what if you compare apples to apples? Let's compare two known
non-synthetics here and say that I was running the Chrysler ATF+3 (a non
synthetic) and decide to dump in the regular trick shift fluid (also a non
synthetic) and run with that for a while. What would the major differences
between those be? B&M states that their original trick shift to be
compatible with all transmissions. Here's the blurb from the website:

"Trick Shift was originally developed by B&M for racing applications. It has
become so successful that it's the most popular high performance fluid on
the street also! Not an additive, this is the best performance ATF
available! A scientific blend of foam inhibitors, pressure agents and shift
modifiers that will provide extended transmission life and drastically
improved shift feel. Trick Shift is the easiest way to measurably improve
the transmission performance of your vehicle. Trick Shift works with all
automatic transmissions when a firmer shift is desired. 'Pour in
Performance' is not just a catchy phrase - it's reality! It can be mixed
with stock-type transmission fluids, however to attain maximum improvement
you should use Trick Shift exclusively. Ideal for towing, light trucks and
RV applications as well as racing"

Why would they state that their product is compatible with all transmissions
if it wasn't? Wouldn't that be bad business on their part? I would think
that the countless consumers out there using their product in Chrysler
transmissions would have revolted by now if it truly was incompatible.
However, I have been unable to find a chemical comparison of these two
products as yet. Without this data I am unable to make a "bulletproof"
statement about compatibility. I have dispatched an email off to the DC
Answers website as well as B&M corp. though, and will post the answers that
I receive when I receive them.

On a side note, I did find that the Amsoil product will work with just about
any transmission that you come across. A strong statement from a very
reputable company, and if they can do this without compromising the
integrity of the other types of fluids there must not be that many
differences after all.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L