Trailer wiring question

From: Jon (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 19:15:15 EDT

   I have a trailer with the standard 7-way connector, and I'm trying
to verify that everything is well with the wiring. I haven't hooked
it up to the truck yet because the 7-way plug on my truck isn't fully
wired up. So, I have been using a 12v DC power supply and a couple of
alligator clips to test the various lights on the trailer. So far,
everything has worked the way I expected it to except for the back-up
lights.

   Am I correct in assuming that grounding the proper pin on the 7-way
connector and appling 12v to the round pin right in the middle should
light up the trailer's back-up lights? When I do this, the brake lights
illuminate instead. (The brake lights work just fine when I test them
individually via the right/brake left/brake pins though, so its not
something as simple as some crossed wires or having the lenses on the
wrong bulbs.)

  BTW, I don't know if this helps at all, but when I supply power to
the center pin and the brake lights go on, if I pull one of the
back up light bulbs, the brake light on that side will go out.

  Anyway, unless anyone has a better idea, if someone could confirm
wether applying 12v to that center pin *should* light up the back-up
lights, I'll just trace the wiring and re-wire it if I have to to
make that happen.

 Thanks!

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'