OT: Looking for Denver area information

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 12:44:35 EDT

Sorry for the off-topic clutter, but I've noticed that there are at least
one or two people on the list in Colorado, and I'm hoping there might be
some other people who know the area. I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind
getting back to me in private e-mail.

(If this isn't you, you can hit delete now.)

Feel free to answer bits and pieces of all the questions I'm about to ask,
whatever you might know and have time to tell me would be appreciated.

I'm going to be in the Denver area on the 22nd and 23rd for a job
interview with a company in Centennial. I'm hoping it goes well, and if
it does they'll be wanting me to get moved there ASAP. With that in mind,
I'm planning on spending the Saturday while I'm there trying to get a feel
for the area. I'll be talking with a real estate agent to get a general
idea what the housing situation is like, and whether we'd be better off
trying to buy right away, or rent for a while.

What I'd like to know before I go there is if there are any areas we
should avoid, or any particular places that would be good to check out.
I'm not in to living right in the middle of a big city, I'd much prefer to
stay out on the outskirts. Fortunately, from what I see on the map, it
looks like Centennial is out of the center part of Denver. That's good,
because I don't want a huge commute either.

Also, do you happen to know anything about local ordinances regarding
pets, or parking an RV trailer in your driveway? It's actually illegal to
park your RV at your house in Toronto. Nobody does anything about it
unless your neighbors complain, and of course we have a set of busybody
neighbors who have nothing better to do than measure the length of our
lawn with microcalipers to make sure it complies with the local ordinances
:-P.

Other interesting things I can think of, if you happen to know... local
sales or other taxes, vehicle insurance rates (relatively high or low?),
gas vs. electric heating cost, DSL availability, cell phone companies,
handgun restrictions... I'll probably think of more later.

Anything else I should be aware of before I head down there?

Thanks in advance.

--
Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario

Didn't you read the disclaimer? http://www.they.com/disclaimer