Re: Need exhaust system upgrade advice

From: John Bell (john_bell_2@hushmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 20:30:50 EDT

First off, thanks to everyone for their advice.

Especially many thanks to Bernd, who hit the nail on the head with his
recommendation.

I ended up taking my truck to Leonard's Garage up on Research in Austin, TX.
Great people, great service, -great prices-.

I ended up with a custom 3" single in/out catback using a MagnaFlow Turbo XL
as the muffler. I had them route everything to the stock locations and weld
it up.

After taxes, labor etc. the total cost was (wait for it) $270! And it's
a -nice- setup. They had the work done in an hour, too.

You guys ought to hear this thing, it sounds great! It has a very slight
rumble at idle, a good rumble under stop 'n go driving, and roars like a
beast at WOT. Another thing that I've noticed is that the intake sounds like
it's going to suck the hood in when I punch it, as opposed to before when it
sounded like it wanted to but couldn't because there wasn't any flow. The
Dak can -breathe- now.

I didn't have my socket kit with me, so I'll reset the computer tomorrow
morning. That said, it is a noticable improvement already. I'll post again
once I have reset the computer and have a couple of data points re: butt
dyno and mileage.

If any of you are in the Austin, TX area by all means take it Leonard's
Garage. I have nothing but good to say about them!

--
JB

""John Bell"" <john_bell_2@hushmail.com> wrote in message news:bhco5c$jcl$1@bent.twistedbits.net... > > Hey all, > > My ride: '00 QC 4x4 with the 5.9 V8. > > I'm in the market for an exhaust upgrade. Current mods to my truck are as > follows: > > - Intense Performance Stage II intake w/ 7" filter > - Hand custom throttle body (mildly shaved/ported/bored) with S-Bolt > - Brass cap & rotor > - 8mm JBA plug wires > - Autolite 3923 plugs > - 180 deg. thermostat > - Hypertech Power Programmer III (tuned for 93 octane w/ +500 above the > stock rev limiter) > - Passenger side radiator flap removed > > The above mods resulted in +2 MPG plus a noticable increase in power (butt > dyno). I think the stock > exhaust is definitely choking things up, however. > > What would y'all recommend for an exhaust upgrade given the above info? My > requirements: > > - Cat back system only (not worried about headers / custom Y pipe and so on > yet) > - cheap Cheap C H E A P (the cheaper the better) > - For those in the Austin, TX area: if you have had work like this done, who > did you take it to? I'd like to go welded if possible. > > That's all for now. Looking forward to some advice from the DML :-). > -- > JB > >