Re: Re: Lights out!

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 22:25:34 EDT

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:13:05 -0400, andy-dml@levyclan.us (andy levy)
wrote:

>Jon wrote:
>
>> Um, Don...
>> If anyone's part of the blackout, do you suppose they're reading the DML
>> right now? :-)
>> I suppose the really die-hard techies could have monster UPSes or generators
>> (though I for one wouldn't trust my system to a generator)...
>> :-)
>
>I'd run my system on a generator...but I have a small UPS too, to put
>between the computer and generator.

Yeah, as long as you have some kind of filtration/protection on the
line coming from the generator, you're fine. Of course, in order to
trick most UPSes into picking up the line power, you need to make sure
the generator is grounded to the central building ground. (Otherwise,
there isn't a ground present and the UPS sits on battery power)

-Bill