Re: Re: XM Radio Working.

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 12:14:07 EDT

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:07:12 -0400, pbatson68@yahoo.com ("VRMan")
wrote:
>Well, the modulator doesn't have much reach and there isn't much room around
>the radio area to jam it in. I'll have to check it out again. Maybe I can
>just shield it from the rest of the wiring.

That might do the trick. It definitely sounds like it's the modulator
picking up the noise and then passing it through your antenna wiring
into the stereo.

>I'll have to dig that amp out and look at it. Obviously, I'm not sure what
>kind of inputs etc it has, but maybe I'll luck out and will be able to hook
>the sat decoder to the amp rather than thru the modulator. That would
>probably fix everything! :)

The amp takes speaker level input and output (not RCAs or any form of
low-level input). The dimensions of it are very funky -- about 6"
wide, 10-12" tall and 1.5-2" deep. I wasn't able to locate any decent
4 channel amp that would fit in there ... Right now I'm getting ready
to hack up the tool tray under my rear seat to fit my new amp under
there.

>When I take a look at it, maybe I can get an idea of the space available and
>swap it for a better model that has additional inputs and more power. Kind
>of scares me that it is in an enclosed space like that tho. I thought amps
>had to have air circulation to stay cool.

High-power amps do get hot, but the Infinity amp is relatively tame.
I don't think heat would really be a problem for it.

FYI, here's a listing of the wires for the Infinity amp.
Connections at the amplifier:
C1 (Amplifier Power, Ground, and Outputs to the Speakers):
C1-1 DG/WT <--- Fuse Panel - C6-3 Fuse 4, 15A
C1-2 DG/WT <--- Fuse Panel - C6-3 Fuse 4, 15A
C1-3 No Connection
C1-4 LG/VT ---> Left Front +
C1-5 TN/VT ---> Right Rear +
C1-6 WT/RD ---> Left Rear +
C1-7 <---> Ground
C1-8 <---> Ground
C1-9 No Connection
C1-10 LB/DG ---> Right Front --
C1-11 LB/RD ---> Right Front +
C1-12 LG/DG ---> Left Front --
C1-13 TN/DG ---> Right Rear --
C1-14 WT/BK ---> Left Rear --

C2 (Amplifier Remote On/Off, Speaker Line Inputs from HU):
C2-1 BR/RD <--- Left Front --
C2-2 DB/RD <--- Right Front --
C2-3 DB/OR <--- Right Rear --
C2-4 DG/RD <--- Remote Amp On/Off
C2-5 DG <--- Left Front +
C2-6 VT <--- Right Front +
C2-7 BR/YL <--- Left Rear +
C2-8 BR/LB <--- Left Rear --
C2-9 DB/WT <--- Right Rear +
C2-10 No Connection

Speaker Connections, (at the speaker):
RightFront + <--> LB/RD
RightFront -- <--> LB/BK
RightFrontTweeter + <---> LB/RD
RightFrontTweerer -- <---> LB/BK

LeftFront + <---> LG/VT
LeftFront -- <---> LG/DG
LeftFrontTweeter + <---> LG/VT
LeftFrontTweeter -- <---> LG/DG

RightRear + <---> DB/WT
RightRear -- <---> DB/OR

LeftRear + <---> BR/YL
LeftRear -- <---> BR/LB

Legend:
C#-# Connector and pin number (from DodgeDak service manual).
<---> Connector
<--- Input
---> Output
+ Positive