Re: changing differential fluid

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 22:06:37 EDT

On Monday, May 19, 2003, at 08:27 PM, Brian Fitchett wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ check your clock, brian =)

> There has been some talk lately about differential fluid, my question
> is:
> How hard is it to change diff fluid and all that jazz.

pull the bolts, pry the cover off and let the fluid drain. wipe out
the bottom of the diff (esp. if there's a magnet. my rear has one but
on my front), spray it clean, wait for it to dry while cleaning off the
mating surfaces. scrape off any old RTV or gasket. make sure things
are clean before you close it up.. then draw a bead of RTV around the
cover, bolt it back on and wait a few hours for the RTV to set up
before filling it.

> I have noticed a
> small leak under my truck recently that i think is coming from the
> differential (must have hit something i guess) but i still need to
> verify
> that, but it probably needs it anyways, (50,000 miles).

finding the leak shouldn't be too hard. just pay attention to where
the drip is from, and follow the track under the truck to its source.
if you smacked something with a diff hard enough to make it leak, you
might want to investigate a bit closer before assuming all is kosher,
though....

> Is this as easy
> (relatively speaking) as changing the oil and the like? What is the
> consensus about what gear oil to use?

I'd put it a notch harder than oil, just because you need to pay a bit
more attention.... and on this list, you ought to know not to ask for
a consensus! ;-)

I try to use Mobil full synthetics wherever I can. at the moment, the
only thing that isn't is my trans, since Mobil doesn't make an ATF+3
(or +4) fluid that I've ever seen. I do need to get that flushed
sooner than I otherwise would since the only ATF+3 I could get my hands
on was Quacker State..... (sic)

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
Apple Campus Rep  -  ClassTech Consultant  -  Printer Tech