Re: Engine Light? (P0442)

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 17:11:07 EDT

<jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote in message
news:bi34q7$5be$2@bent.twistedbits.net...

> "Michael Quigley" <michael9@michael9.com> wrote:
>
> : jon@dakota-truck.net said:
> :> http://www.dakota-truck.net/codes/
>
> : The code was P0442 -- " A medium Evaporative Emission Control System
leak has
> : been detected."
>
> : Any thoughts on this one?
>

> Good news. :-) Its just a leaky gas cap. You might want to just
> verify that your gas cap is on properly, then reset the code. (You
> can either reset it with the reader, or disconnect your negative
> battery cable for a few minutes.) If it comes back, you might need
> a new gas cap. Definitely nothing to worry about though - have fun
> on your boating trip! :-)
>
> --
>
> -Jon-

Yes, but with only 11K miles on it, he's gotta have warranty left. I say
just bring it in as long as it's free. Besides, they might be able to bust
it out in a matter of minutes for you.

As far as not worrying goes, I drove with a "minor evap system leak" for
over 2 months because I kept forgetting to go pick up a new gas cap.
Eventually the code changed from minor to gross (major) because I left it so
long.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L