Re: Re: Short-Throw Shifter?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 14:58:48 EDT

B1LLYW@aol.com wrote:
: In a message dated 8/22/2003 9:18:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
: acellan1@tampabay.rr.com writes:

:> I believe Hurst makes one for our trucks with a NV3500. I don't have a
:> part
:> number available though.

: It only fits through 2000 - biggest issus is the change in the interior. It
: hits the dash on 2001 and up trucks. I have heard of some people making it
: work though.

  Dang, I hate when silly stuff like that happens! If there is anyone
out there with a 2001+ who wants to install the hurst shifter and
would like to work with me to make it work, just drop me a line. I'm
not sure how the stick attaches, but I'm guessing its the fairly standard
"two bolts through the handle" method. It shouldn't be too difficult
to create an adapter which would angle the Hurst stick back a bit, or
even jut create a whole new shift lever.

   I'd do it myself, but I don't have a 2001+ Dak to test it on (and NO,
that is NOT enough reason for me to buy a new truck, despite what some
might tell you!) ;-) Basically all I would need from you would be the
shifter, handle, etc. from Hurst and some information from you as to how
much further back than "stock" the lever needs to be. And of course,
some feedback and testing on your part. Any work I do would be yours to
keep in exchange for my being able to mass produce the final solution.
Basically you would need to purchase the shifter from Hurst, install it
to determine how much contact there is between the handle and the
dash, uninstall it, ship it to me, then I would ship it back to you
with the extra bits to make it work. You would then install it again
and let me know how it works out. It might work great the first time or
I might need to do some tweaking. (The initial install could actually
be avoided if you could find somebody who has tried to install one on a
2001+ and already has that info.)

   Anyway, its probably a long shot, but I figured I'd make the offer
just in case. It annoys me when something is "almost there"... If I
can provide the finishing touch and make this shifter accessible to a
whole new group of Dak owners, well that would be great. :-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'