Re: Intake sound?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 18:59:13 EDT

"Mallett, Donald B" <Donald.Mallett@bnsf.com> wrote:

: Jon, Took a look at your 4.7L intake set up at
: http://www.steigerperformance.com/products/pics/big.sp01102a.jpg. I like it.
: I was wondering dose having the stock hat, with the baffles chambers, sound
: any different then having a bent pipe in its place? I've been toying with
: the idea of rebuilding my intake to include the stock hat if it help to tone
: down the sound. Its been a while since this topic has been touched on, What
: the purpose of the chambers in the stock hat,?
: Thank you all & have a nice day!

  Don,

   I haven't heard a 4.7 with the tube all the way to the throttle body,
so unfortunately I'm not too much help as far as the sound differences.
When I was prototyping my intake kit, we did run the engine with nothing
at all attached to the throttle body just for grins, and it was louder.
I don't recall all the details now but I remember thinking that the
stock plenum did civilize the engine sound a bit.

   As far as my intake goes, after looking at the stock plenum I
decided that the additional expense and trouble to run a tube
directly to the throttle body wasn't worth it. The plenum isn't
very restrictive, so I took an "if its not broke, don't fix it"
tack. Plus, I can maintain the benefits of the factory engineers'
efforts to control the sound while keeping the price of the end
product down. Plus, the engine looks better with the penum in
place, IMHO. :-)

   This isn't to say that there aren't gains to be made by running a
tube directly to the throttle body, and I am certainly not discouraging
anyone to use such an intake on their own truck. I do suspect such gains
would be fairly small, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there were
some gains to be had. The above is just my personal thought process and
the reasoning behind retaining the stock plenum with my intake.

   BTW, the inside of that plenum actually is a nice smooth tube,
except for a cutout which connects to the plenum baffles. If one
was handy with a tube of epoxy, It would probably not be very
difficult to patch a piece of sheet metal over that cutout to
create a tube with no cutouts at all, which would accomplish
about the same effect as replacing the plenum with a tube. I'm
not sure I would want to do that if it were my truck, but if
someone thought the risk of epoxy or the sheet metal going down the
throttle body was fairly small, it might be an option...

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'