Re: Reducing rear end squat when towing (was: Shocks / Spring

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 19:13:08 EDT

"Michael Quigley" <michael9@michael9.com> wrote:

: jon@dakota-truck.net said:
:> Are you using a weight distributing setup with the trailer, or just
:> towing right off the ball? I'm assuming you are just towing with the
:> ball since you didn't mention a WD setup. A weight distributing setup
:> will work wonders for reducing squat as it transfers some of the
:> trailer's weight back onto the front wheels of the vehicle.

: I'm not currently using a weight distributing setup. Wouldn't such a setup
: require special modifications to the trailer as well?

: If not, are there products that I can add to my truck to implement such a setup?

  It depends on the trailer - that's what I thought too, I had heard
that the trailer needed to have tabs welded on it for the weight
distribution bars, so I resisted it for a while. :-)

  I recently purchased a used weight distribution setup from a fellow
DMLer, and it included the connectors for the bars - they just bolt
onto the frame of the trailer - no drilling or fabricating required.

  It does depend somewhat on the construction of the trailer, but
there are a few different setups out there for different trailer
types, so chances are very good that you can purchase a setup
that would bolt onto the trailer and require no modifications to it.
On the truck side, all the weight distribution stuff is on the drawbar
itself, so if you have a 2" receiver hitch, your truck is already set
up for weight distribution - no modifications required there either.

  The drawback is that it is pricey, you can probably figure on
spending somewhere around $350 if you buy it new. But pricing will
vary, depending on which one you buy - the setup I have is about as
heavy duty as you can get without going to the 2.5" Titan receiver,
so if you don't need that much capacity, you can probably go with
a less expensive setup.

   I am partial to Reese products myself, but there are weight
distribution setups made by Reese, DrawTite, Putnam, and probably
more. A google search should turn up plenty of on-line sources
with pics and pricing info.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'