T-stat gasket sealer ?

From: jay & dana (jay&dana@telus.net)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 17:07:04 EDT

I noticed today that my T-stat housing has finally started the dreaded leak,
(97, 318). I plan on using the fibre gasket but was wondering what others
are using and have had good luck with as far as the permatex ultra gray,
black or ? I plan on putting one of these sealants on both sides of the
gasket before I tighten down the T-stat housing.
Also I'm debating on putting in a 180* T-stat, or putting in a new stock
195*. I've noticed in the last little while on the DML that others have
mentioned even with the 180* their engine temp will get up into the 210*
range.
We've had 40*C (100*F) weather here for the last month and a half and my
stock 195* wouldn't even come close to 210*. According to the stock temp
gauge I would estimate that in the hottest weather my engine temp would
probably reach 200 to 205*F (always under the midway point of 100*C).
Any advice here would be greatly appreciated as it's time to do something
with this dumb leak!

TIA
Jay