Re: T-stat gasket sealer ?

From: Michael Clark (dml@mikesdakota.com)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 00:24:51 EDT

> I noticed today that my T-stat housing has finally
> started the dreaded leak, (97, 318). I plan on using
> the fibre gasket but was wondering what others are
> using and have had good luck with as far as the
> permatex ultra gray, black or ?

I posted a few days ago about a difficult to seal
tstat housing. Today I put a new one on, and after I
got the old one off I checked and it had warped pretty
badly. How it was sealing at all is beyond me.

For the new housing, what I did was use permatex ultra
black (sparingly) on both sides of the paper gasket
that came with the housing. Be sure to use a torque
wrench and tighten it down slowly to allow the RTV to
ooooze into all the crevices. On my '93 it calls for
200 in/lbs of torque. It's probably more important
however to be sure that each bolt is torqued the same
amount as the other one.

I hope this one seals. I won't know until later in the
week. Can't fire it up yet because I'm waiting on new
pushrods. Yeah, bent my old ones.....

--Mike
www.mikesdakota.com