OT: Electric fan install on a '01 1500HD

From: John Bell (john_bell_2@hushmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 13 2003 - 22:29:46 EDT

I helped a buddy of mine out today with an electric fan install (Flex-a-lite
part number 282). That was interesting. Looks like things are tough all over
when it comes to getting the nut for the fan clutch assembly started. We
ended up calling Pep Boys (yeah yeah, I know) to get a fan clutch wrench
set, only the set didn't support the pulley setup for the '01 1500HD with a
6.0 liter motor (even though they said it would over the phone, dumbasses).
The water pump pulley had four pin slots where the proper tool was supposed
to go to prevent the pulleys from turning while torquing the fan clutch nut.
This tool, however, was unavailable to any local parts shop, the local
Chebby dealers wouldn't loan it to us, and after that we'd have to special
order it from Ohio. Sorry, not an option. So, we just put four bolts into
the holes and used a 2-1/8" socket for me to hold the pulleys while he
pushed on it with a 1-7/16" for the clutch nut. Ended up using a hammer to
get it to break loose, but break loose it did. It was smooth sailing after
that. Of course, Poop Boys was wrong about the direction that the nut needed
to turn, but we knew that going in. I swear, listening to some punk kid
working the counter at P-Boys and doing the opposite of what they recommend
will work nine times out of ten :-P.

Some comments on fit/finish of the Flex-a-lite... let me just say that I
have not seen support brackets more out of spec with the holes on the fan
housing in a long time. It was all I could do to keep from cross-threading
the bolts to get it put together. I was eventually successful, but -damn-
what a pain in the ass. Made the original fan removal seem easy.

As a side note, all the swearing, chest thumping and parts flying about
caught the attention of the college hotties at my bud's apartment complex,
but alas I am married with children and could not take advantage ;-). Almost
made the busted knuckles worth it.

Anyway, just thought I'd share the experience with everyone. Hope y'all have
a great weekend!

--
JB