Re: Updates (Tire Pressure Issue)

From: Michael Quigley (michael9@michael9.com)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 23:48:27 EDT

Michael Maskalans said:
> glad to hear it, Michael. I'm also kinda surprised that the hitch
> place had never seen it on a boat trailer. it's pretty common in the
> barely-trailerable or slightly oversized cabin cruiser market (25-30'
> feet and 8.5-10' beam). a WD system is cheaper and allows more vehicle
> flexibility than auxiliary springs or an air bag setup.

They're just a little trailer and truck parts store down the street from me.
I'm sure they're not necessarily boat trailer experts. They weren't even sure
they'd be able to get the clamps mounted on the trailer.

I ended up with a 750# set of torsion arms.

It's working great for me. The truck feels a LOT happier pulling the boat now.
It handles almost like it does when there is no trailer!

> plugs helped mine a lot - and they weren't even that old (12,000?).
> since my 100k maintenance spree (all fluids, shift kit, cat-back, PCM
> programmer, plugs. no wires, cap or rotor), I'm getting 10-12 around
> town with lots of foot, and 16.5 at 70-75mph. I'd expect you ought to
> be in the same range with the added economy of the 4.7 (versus my 5.2)
> and the negative effects of your 3.92 gears (right? versus my 3.55s)

*nod* I hear that. Not only do I have 3.92 gears, but I also have an automatic
transmission... FYI.

It's embarrassing to admit, but I did have a tire pressure problem for the
last few months. It's since fixed. I took a 40-mile trip around Charlotte this
evening to get dinner and run some errands. I reset the overhead mileage
computer before I left. When I pulled back into my driveway it said 15.2mpg.
The drive was probably 30% 45mph, 20% 35mph and 50% 65mph driving. There was
some stop-and-go stuff involved. The pressure problem may have had a LOT to do
with my crappy mileage.

Like I said--I'm going to try and get a lot more scientific about it now. The
truck runs great, and I can't complain much about its performance.

Michael
02 4.7L 4x4 QC