Re: Re: RE: WAS: My truck and my first questions!NOW:Head Lights.

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 18:58:35 EDT

On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 04:14 PM, Brian Fitchett wrote:

> they can easily be cut out to fit foglights. Mine didnt come with fogs
> either. I found a set at walmart of all places and they were about
> $25 and
> are just a hair smaller than the stock lights. I actually used a hole
> saw
> (find the center first) to cut the holes a little smaller than the
> light and
> used a file (bastard cut, of course) till the lights fit in snug.

exact same way I mounted my blazer lights, though I didn't have a hole
saw, so I did the entire operation with my dremmel. this means of
mounting looked far better than stock too, since there was no gap
between the light and the valance. It's stiff enough that I didn't
have any trouble with them moving around, and I never had their
alignment slip at all.

of course, this will only work well on a light that has a lip at the
face, in front of a smooth round section, without anything poking out
to the sides in the rear of the light that can't be navigated through
the hole. for extra insurance, I put the mounting bolts on the back
side through the holes that would have been used to mount them, which
made the lights too large to slip back out in front of the truck, but
like I said: they never moved, through two sets of them and probably 2
years.

in case you care, mine were blazer 550s. I don't recommend them since
they were *always* taking on water - whether I'd dunked them or not.
when I took out the second set, after a week of rolling around in my
bed both of them had lost their internal reflectors due to rust
weakening the mounts.

unfortunately I don't think I have any pictures of that install on my
site.

--
Michael Maskalans                '98 Dakota SLT CC 4x4 318
details here:         <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak.html>