Re: Re: 360 Engine Ticking

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 08:03:50 EDT

In article <3F6BD907.6040807@earthlink.net>, SilverEightynine@earthlink.net
(Terrible Tom) writes:

> John Bell wrote:
> > What you are hearing is the fuel injectors as they pulse open/closed. No
> > worries, it's just loud that way, and more noticable at idle.
> >
> > I've had a '97 with the 3.9 that did this, and my '00QC with the 360 does
> > the same thing. I just chalked it up to engine music.
> >
> > I fixed this "problem" by installing a Magnaflow TurboXL on my 360. Now I'm
> > lucky if I can hear myself think ;-).
> > --
> > JB
>
> Hmm are you sure? I dont know for sure but it seemed to do it after the
> engine warmed up. I'm going to be paying attention to it more in the
> next day few days to see what is going on when it happens.

Whether your ticking is the injectors or not I do not know but I can confirm
that that the injectors do make a ticking noise. Another source of ticking on
the late model electronically controlled automatics is the relays/solinods in
the tranny. Not normally there when stopped but definately there when first
pulling awau from a stop.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4