Re: 5.7 hemi swap

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@datastar.net)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 19:28:07 EDT

Bob Mankin wrote:

>I doubt you could get a reprogrammed PCM to run the 5.7L The NGC controller
>used on the Hemi is a completely different animal.
>
>For one, the spark plug firing logic doesn't exist in the earlier
>controllers. That right there is a show stopper and AFAIK, there isn't
>anything currently available in the aftermarket that would fit the bill
>either.
>
>Adapting a NGC to an older truck might work, but be prepared to rewire
>pretty much the whole truck in order to get the sensors and the dashboard
>working right.

Spark plug firing logic is only waste spark so no big deal. Just need
to follow the wires to pick out the 2 cylinders that fire together. I
bought two 4-post Accel EDIS coils off some guy w/a mustang from ebay
for $35 that would light them babies right purty. Other than that its
getting a signal off the crank sensor for RPM and wiring up 8 injectors
and an air control valve (existing TB should suffice), a temp and O2
sensor and call it done. Use your ECU of choice or use my (low rent)
favorite - Megasquirt 8)

oops forgot the dashboard - hmm that sux - I'd have a full custom job
anyway so .... wait, what about ABS, airbag control, trans control....
um we are talking about a race car huh 8)

Latr,

Shane