Re: Toureg (yeah, it's OT)

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@bellsouth.net)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 09:01:05 EDT

On Monday, September 22, 2003, at 03:59 PM, Mr. Plow wrote:

> Unfortunately, there are about 3 mags that do off-road testing, and
> actually take the vehicles OFF ROAD. Usually the mags just go up a
> "somewhat" steep gravel or dirt road, or drive slow through a couple
> of inches of water and say that it fords streams well. <rolling eyes>
> Maybe the Toureg is different, ya i know about it going through 22" of
> water, but that is about where i want a vehicle to start, not stop at
> 22.1" of water.
> And will the Toureg come with 4-lo?
> I'm not sure as i haven't researched it at all. But if it doesn't
> come with a t-case enabled with 4-lo, it's going to get useless and
> stuck real quick on the trail. And it sure as hell won't make it up
> Jon's waterfalls. :)
>
> I haven't seen too many vehicles that come from the factory and are
> actually "off-road-ready". The Jeep Rubicon, the better Land Rovers
> and such, are all decent platforms, but they still need to be upgraded
> to really be trail ready.
> The Dak is pretty good out of the box as well, just a little too long
> with a bad departure angle. If the Daks came with a solid front axle,
> i would still have one, and it would probably be rolling on 35's. :D
>

> The Adam Blaster
> Two words, figure it out.....

Adam, those are goods points but realize that this isn't made for trail
riding all of the time. It's a vehicle that can be used occasionally
for both. The major mags really do not do very good tests off-road but
the foreign mags do.

 From everything I have read it really is very good off-road and they
all were amazed that it could be so good using the street tires that VW
purposely provided for the test. No it couldn't handle major mud but
for a vehicle to do some fun trail running here and there it should fit
the bill. Not knowing Jons property I figure the trails that he has it
could handle. I wouldn't take it up the waterfall but I don't think
that is the point of the vehicle.

I myself am more interested in the diesel for the towing that it could
provide me without buying a large truck. I like the ram QC but where I
live it could be a little tight getting in and out of the driveway on a
day to day basis. On the other side the ram is cheaper than the Toureq
and in about three years I may be looking for a current body style that
is used.

Jeff Durling