Re: Oil Consumption

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 21:04:07 EDT

>I can find no external evidence of a leak anywhere on the engine. The front
>crank seal has been replaced (@62k), & it's not leaking there...

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a belly pan leak result in loss of
>power or a noticeable ping?
>She still runs strong for a V6...& I cleaned the TB about 2 months ago &
>there was no evidence of any oil "puddling on the BP when I looked thru the
>TB...

It could cause power loss or ping, but the ping will be caused by carboned up oil after a
relatively long time. I doubt that much oil would cause much of a power loss.

>Wouldn't I see evidence of blue/white smoke on start-up, if either of these
>2 had leaks?

If it's rings, you more than likely would not see smoke at start up. That's a sign of
leaking valve guides. Smoke while running is more indicative of rings.

If the oil isn't going out the tail pipe or onto the ground, where else is there for it to
go? It has to go somewhere! I know, maybe you have Saudi's in your neighborhood sucking a
few drops out of your engine every night so they can sell it back to us greedy American
infidels :-)

John
http://jndneff.home.texas.net/dakota/dakota.html