RE: Extended service contracts

From: Gabriel A. Couriel (gcouriel@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 17:51:29 EDT

I've got a service contract, so i'll fill in the gaps as i know them...

***I have to go to the dealer who sold me the plan for everything if at all
possible. But what if I take this deal DC sent me direct through the mail?-
as far as i know, you can take it to any dealership. i took mine to a jeep
dealer, and they covered the work.

*** Do I have to call DC every time I go in to get authorization for the
work to start?- No, take it in just like you do now. they call the warranty
department and get authorization for it.

*** State & local taxes aren't covered by the plan?- you have to pay sales
tax ON THE DEDUCTIBLE, nothing else. here in Miami it's 7%, so when i take
my truck in, i pay $107 (i have a $100 deductible).

*** Also from the page linked above: "You pay only the plan deductible for
covered repairs performed during each repair visit." - does this mean
that if a problem takes 5 visits to correct, I'll pay my deductible 5
times if billable work was done on each visit?- no, for me it has always
worked out to be $100. i had my A/C go, they fixed it, but they didn't
correct the drain plug to dump the water out, they repaired it under the
original bill. If the issue is that they don't have the part in stock, it
all goes under the same bill.

*** Are these plans the ones that you can negotiate with them on the price?-
not that i know of. they charge the same amount as they would for
everything else, you only pay the deductible amount.

*** I do plan on keeping this truck until it's paid off (and then some) and
my 3/36 bumper to bumper is going to run out long before my 3 years are
up. I'm having a hard time understanding what the options are with
these plans and the website that the mailer pointed me to is close to 3
years old - I have a hard time trusting that information. Any
clarifications would be *greatly* appreciated.- which contract do you like?
i have the "powertrain care plus" which covers engine/tranny/rear-end/AC.
it's been helpful for me. what are you specifically trying to ensure? IMO,
don't bother with the high-end coverage, because you probably don't have
enough to warrant getting it, and the "Added care" plan covers those pesky
ball joints and such, but it might be cheaper to have those done on your own
than pay the extra money for the coverage. i would stick with the
powertrain plus. mine is about to expire, but it's been a relief to know
that it's been there...

Gabe Couriel