Re: Indexing Spark Plugs?

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 03:48:49 EDT

Mallett, Donald B wrote:
> I just read about "Indexing Spark Plugs" in 5.9 Ram. I'm due to change the
> plugs anyway. Dose anyone know where the 'squish' area is in the 4.7L?
> Why do I have a feeling this simple question is about to start a long
> winded, roundabout debate about "Indexing Spark Plugs".

Isn't the 4.7 near-hemispherical? If so, there wouldn't be any real
squish/quench/whatever-the-term-is area. I took a look at a 4.7
combustion chamber, and my guess is to have the gap open towards the
exhaust manifold. Sorta pointing "down" on each side of the engine.
This is just an un-educated guess, so if you blow your motor up doing
this, don't sue me, please.