Re: tow hitch

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 22:38:46 EDT

droo <03dakotacc4.7_4x4@comcast.net> wrote:

: I don't plan on hauling anything. That's why I didn't get the hitch
: installed from the factory. Don't care for the look of them. :P I spoke to
: a guy that said he towed his race car in a car trailer around on the bumper
: of his F150. Said he didn't have problems. I just want to make sure I don't
: crinkle my bumper like the few of you have done tryin' to pull out stumps.
: :)

  Hopefully it was a Mini on a really light trailer. ;-) Keep
in mind also that the full size trucks are often rated to tow
more off the bumper. I have no idea what Ford's ratings are, but
both of my Rams are rated to pull 5,000lbs with 500lb tongue weight
off their bumpers. To get that kind of rating with my Dak, I need
a Class III hitch. My Dak (and probably yours too) is only rated
to tow 2,000lbs and something like 200lbs tongue weight off the
bumper.

  If your loaded trailer weight is in the neighborhood of 2,000lbs
or less, you should have no problems towing off the bumper. (You
might also want to double check that the trailer you will be pulling
is more or less level; I suspect it may ride a bit nose high.) Some
of those trailers which are designed to be pulled behind a car
will ride nose-high even off a truck hitch, the bumper will put it
a few inches higher.

  Be sure to load the trailer nose-heavy; put the heavy stuff up
front and the light stuff in the back.

  Good luck!

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'