Drag Racing Tonight at VMP

From: Ken Allgood (kenallgood@cox.net)
Date: Sat Nov 01 2003 - 00:37:32 EST

Ok, went up to VMP tonight with some buddies.. Was able to only make 3 runs
tonight (they had to close the track like 1/2 dozen times.. it was crazy.. 1
time for at least 30 min).. However, I did have my 3 best runs EVER..
Think it was about 60 degrees when I made my first run, and must have been
below 50 on my 2nd and 3rd runs.. Tonight I tried manually shifting from
1st to 2nd, and 2nd to drive..

Mods: Quick-D intake, 1.7 Rockers, PP Headers, M1 intake, 50mm F&B TB,
Catsound Cad, Gibson Cat Back, 180 t-stat, 3923 Autolites... ummm, think
that's it :-)
Truck: 97 CC SLT 5.2L (weight probably about 4,250 with me in it, measured
before with subs at 4,380)

Previous Best Run (just after installing M1 & Headers, Leaving in D with O/D
off, PCM freshly reset):
60': 2.239 (before tonight, was only 2.2 60' I had)
1/8: 9.956 @ 69.78 (before tonight, was only 1/8 faster then 10 sec)
1/4: 15.65 @ 86.24

1ST Run tonight T&T
60': 2.270 (new personal best)
1/8: 9.851 @ 70.74
1/4: 15.469 @ 87.40
WOOHOO! Beat the old 15.65 mark. Think biggest difference was letting it
run longer in 2nd.. Had pretty good traction off the line too, and the cold
air helped too probably :-)

2nd Run T&T:
60': 2.237
1/8: 9.891 @ 70.76
1/4: 15.506 @ 87.43
Ok, Well, times were a little slower, but MPH.. well, cannot get much closer
there :-)

3rd Run (1st round elim) Dial 15.46:
60': 2.229 (oops, just broke my mark again.. new personal best)
1/8: 9.827 @ 71.01
1/4: 15.426 @ 87.61

Third run was definitely the best run.. I pretty much beat all my numbers
twice tonight between the first and last runs.. I broke out the 3rd run as
you see, the other car broke out too with a 17.722 on a 17.75 dial, so I
lost, and called it a night, I was the only one left in my group still
running. Last run, I was able to let it cool off longer cause that's when
they had the track shut down for 30 min, and being the first car, I was
going to have a bye-pass, but there was an even number of cars. All in all,
I'm happy with the results, a bit surpised actually, was just hoping I could
match my previous 15.65... Disappointed with only getting three runs in
though..

Oh yeah, bit of excitement on the way home.. had a drunk behind me for about
10 miles.. Guy was speeding up, slowing down, tailgating me.. swerving a
little bit from lane to lane... One time he went a little off too far to
the right and scrapped a barrier, and that's when I picked up my cell phone
and got the guys info to the State troopers.. then another 2-3 miles down
the road, he slowed down to about 35 (on a 65mph interstate), then rolls off
to the left shoulder, scrapes a guard rail there, goes through a bunch of
dirt, then swerves back onto the highway.. and all this when a lot of
traffic catches up with us.. luckily he didn't hit anyone though.. I
finally just pulled off the road, and hoped the troopers got him cause he
was doing over 80mph in a 55 mph zone, and still swerving from lane to lane.

Ken Allgood
97 CC SLT 5.2L