Re: clock sync utility

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 07:12:38 EST

Gary Hedlin wrote:

> Obviously you havent taken any programming classes. The more code you have,
> the more resources you take up. And even if you have code to call up
> special instruction sets on a processor, youre still taking resources to
> enable them.

I do it for a living. I have a 4-year degree in Computer Science.

> Look at all the companies still using command line interfaces on UNIX
> systems, they're stiill using them because command line is still the least
> resource hogging application. Youre not driving a GUI interface....which
> uses up a massive ammout of resources to interface the graphical part to the
> actual commands...

The fact that a GUI uses more resources than a CLI has nothing to do
with the amount of code and everything to do with the amount of work
being done. I have had very resource-intensive non-GUI programs and
very small GUI programs.

> It's as simple as that

Hardly. It's anything but a "simple" issue. There are countless
factors at work. Look, if you want to try continuing this, take it to
the OT list.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/dakota - andy-dml@levyclan.us -------------------------------------------- "Whatever Adam does, do the opposite and you'll be fine" -Bob Tom --------------------------------------------