Re: best solution for bed storage...

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 01:45:05 EST

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 22:00:58 -0500, ethan@ethanschwartz.com (Ethan
Schwartz) wrote:

>I think it's probably been asked before... but I was hoping to get some
>advice...
>
>I have a regular cab, it's a bit tight on space... Right now I have a
>standard tonneau cover, but w/ no lock I'm reluctant to leave anything
>worth more then a few bucks in the bed if I have to make any stops... I
>don't even really trust my neighbors, let alone someone who happens to
>walk by the truck while I'm out.
>
>I wanted to buy a truck chest, a 48"Lx20"Dx18"H from Northern Tools, and
>mount it up near the cab, but my cover only opens if I unbutton the
>whole darn thing, which would make it next to impossible to access the
>tool box easily. I'd like to keep a cover for the fuel savings and
>ability to keep stuff dry back there...
>
>So I guess my question is... short of a cap, what's the best bet for
>secure storage?
>
>I was thinking of a Jack Rabbit (?) combined with the truck chest... I
>have a friend w/ a 98 Dak who has one, and except for the price he loves
> it.

I want to say that in a recent Craftsman catalog there were a whole
bunch of things that would work. I was looking at a few different
options. (my setup is the same, except that I have a club cab ... but
I don't like to listen to tools banging around inside the cab :) )

The most expensive but very cool solution is a box that sits up by the
cab wall but is on small tracks that allow you to move it to the back
of bed.

They also have various sized boxes that will sit on the outside of the
bed in the space between the wheel well and the front and rear of the
bed. You might check out their website -- I think there's a

The biggest issue is that you need something that can be bolted to the
bed or is too heavy to easily take out of the truck otherwise the
security aspect is a waste. I'm still investigating, too, because I
want to be able to leave some tools in the truck that I only use for
jobs in the field and not at home.

-Bill