Re: Re: Re: keyless / remote start

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 14:53:12 EST

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=DLA-1&type=store

> I think that might even be the same actuators I have, if not they
> are darn close. Given that they were designed for door locks
> they should have enough power to handle the job, and you sure
> can't complain about the price! Actually, definitely check out
> that parts express link too, do a search on actuators; I think
> they have the same ones for cheaper, and also have several
> different types; might be worth a look-see.
>
> I would recommend pulling your door panel off and getting some
> ideas as to where to connect the actuator to the locks, and verify
> that 3/4" movement will be enough to open the lock fully at the
> location you choose. Wether they have enough power or not probably
> won't be verified until you actually hook the things up. They should
> though, considering this is what they were designed for.
>

> As far as the wiring goes, I think a normally open DPDT relay would
> do the trick for you. I sketched out a quick diagram, which you can
> see at: http://www.jonsteiger.com/www/misc/ActuatorWiring.jpg
> I don't recall if a DPDT-NO relay has 2 inputs or not, but I guess
> the final choice as to relays and such will depend on how the alarm
> you use wants to trigger them. I figured you would want to use a normally
> open relay because you don't want 12v running through the actuators
> all the time which would hold them open or shut. The diagram assumes
> the alarm uses an unlock wire and a lock wire which go hot for the
> lock and unlock events, and assumes that a DPDT-NO relay has 2 trigger
> pins. :-) Anyway, its a crappy diagram but it should give you
> some ideas, even if this isn't the exact way it ends up being hooked
> up this should get you started. I don't know very much about electrical
> diagrams and such, I just see stuff in my head and draw it, how it
> comes out makes sense to me, it might not make sense to anybody
> else, if it doesn't draw yer own diagram. ;-)
>
> Have fun! :-)
>

> --
> -Jon-

Thanks for the info Jon! I'll see if I can put some of those EE skills to
use.

And if anyone else is reading this that had a gen III with power locks... I
few pics of where the locking/unlocking solenoids are placed would be a huge
help. If not, I'll just have to deal with the limited schematics in the
FSM.

TIA!

--
- Josh