Re: Re: New from eldebrock

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 10:47:28 EST

"Ron Sobers" <RON@rsx1.com> wrote:
: You have to remember that these heads will work with the crate motors as
: well..... and believe me there are a lot of crate motors out there! I have
: been watching for a few particular types of A/E bodies to come up for sale
: so I have been reading A LOT of ads. You would be amazed how many factory
: 318 E Bodies have the 380HP crate motors in them now. You also have to
: remember that the 380 horse crate motor actually puts out more HP then the
: vintage big block (with the exception of the Hemi - of course).
: The is a market for the heads... in the crate motor market, as well as
: in the area of the late model arena.

  Point taken - there are certainly a decent number of Magnum
motors out there, but it is still a very small market compared
to the Chevy and Ford alternatives which seem to be Edelbrock's
bread and butter. I was just making the point that I doubt
Edelbrock would take the initiative to go out on their own and
develop a head for the Magnum; more likely they were spurred
on by an outside force, which in this case seems to be a contract
with Mopar to build the heads for them, at the end of which they
already have all the tooling and design done so why not put
the Edelbrock logo on 'em?

  Heck, it took them almost 40 years to get around to making a
Big Block Mopar aluminum head! :-) (Which I am pretty sure is a
project they actually did embark on from scratch, on their own
as I haven't seen any other BB aluminum heads which appear to
be rebranded Edelbrocks.) If Edelbrock had done the Magnum
heads on their own initiative, they probably would have been made
available for sale sometime around 2030. ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'