Re: Changing Front Differential Oil

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 21:15:09 EST

Hey,Ron,

<snip> ... I took a look at the front differential with the thought of
changing it sometime in the future but it looked pretty tight to get in
there. Has anybody had any experience doing the front and were any special
tools required. Also the transfer case looks fairly easy any experience
with that. I have a 2K CC 4x4 with a 4.7 5 speed...<snip>

I've done both diff & the xfer case a coupla times, & yes, the front is a
PITA! 12 bolts with no room to access at least the top 4. I found that
reaching thru the skid plate was the easiest way to get the tops ones
in/out. Don't know what color RTV you're using, but if you use the
red/orange stuff, by the time you figure out how to get both the breather
hose & the cover into position, you'll have a real Jack-o'-Lantern look to
it! LOL! Do yourself a favor & use the black stuff.
Also I used spray cans of brake cleaner to get rid of all the grime/residue
inside both diffs & covers...
HTH,

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
(Happy Belated B'day, DML!)